Ninja Art Duel Academy
Welcome to NADA, if you are looking to join feel free to make an account and join our chatbox. Make sure to read the rules and test rubric and then join our chatbox so we can start the test. Before joining I would suggest that you check out our Forum Rules.

NADA Forum Rules: http://ninjaartduelacademy.forumotion.com/post

A place to master the art of dueling and hang out with friends, Join Ninja Art today.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» New Dueling Website is Up!
by Fawkes99 Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:41 pm

» Yah boi is back online
by Fawkes99 Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:43 am

» Ozpin's Admin application
by Dark Knight Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:41 pm

» Root's Admin Application
by Dark Knight Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:19 pm

» NEW HERE
by B.eyes.white.dragon Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:36 am

» New student
by Niney18 Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:41 pm

» hey can i retest
by Magers39 Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:14 pm

» the death and rebirth of yugioh
by Lord Voldemort Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:43 am

» (Blackflame)Zenwolf's Application for Teacher
by Ozpin Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:55 pm

Card of the week
Statistics
We have 833 registered users
The newest registered user is runzy

Our users have posted a total of 5012 messages in 1223 subjects

Share | 

Why I run decks with more than 40 cards.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GeffTW

DN Username : (lancer)pegasus-pony
Training Points : 0

PostSubject: Why I run decks with more than 40 cards.   Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:38 pm

For a while, I've been running a Kozmo deck on DN with 43-46 cards (it's still a bit of a work in progress) and I've found its been much less troubling than the best 40 card build I could.

More recently, I've been running a 58-60 card Dracopals deck.

With both of these decks, I was immediately told by a friend that they're shit, and that I should widdle them down to 40, or even 37.

The funny thing is, these decks have been doing much better than their 40 card counterparts!

I've found several reasons why this is true:

1) Cards like Draco Face-Off, and Kozmo Tincan.

With cards that pull other cards from your deck, especially specific ones, like face-off, you can find yourself running out of targets (or, at least, good targets, with tincan) in your deck to use it on.

With my larger decks, I run more ships in Kozmo, and mill them for Tincan with almost no hesitation, and, in Dracopals, I run 3 Master 3 Vector 1 Luster with 3 Draco face-off, and I've never found myself without targets in my deck!

2) Cards like Pot of Riches, Instant Fusion, Draco Face-Off, Fire Formation Tenki, Dinomist Charge, and other "you can only activate one (cardname) per turn" cards. I'm able to run cards like these at 2 or 3, and I almost never draw multiple of them!

3) "Hole" Trap cards. Running Traptrix Myrmello, Rafflesia, Bottomless, Time-Space and Trap Hole nightmare has been a godsend. Having all 3 to choose from on a rafflesia is great, and myrmello can act as an MST as you pend. summon it, or as a searcher for a bottomless that you can later use for a rank 4 XYZ.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Galaxy

DN Username : Your Face 101 or {AccelSync}Galaxy
Training Points : 140

PostSubject: Re: Why I run decks with more than 40 cards.   Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:02 am

You know what GeffTW? When I do a 40-card build I usually end up with bad hands, but when you have like 41 or more cards it feels more consistent in a way. (not trying to steal your style or anything just saying.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeffTW

PostSubject: Re: Why I run decks with more than 40 cards.   Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:14 am

Yes, there's actually a reason why decks with over 40 cards usually have less bricky hands -
in many decks, you will have cards that you want in your deck for a card effect (like time-space trap hole, mystic shine ball, sometimes cyber dragon, and others...) but you don't want to draw. In 60 card decks, you have more cards that are powerful in general (like book of moon, torrential tribute, raigeki and dark hole) that you are able to draw, meaning you're more likely to draw a staple that lets you take control of the game.

Also, with larger decks, you can control the ratios of cards more easily.
Certain decks need certain cards in them to be viable, and sometimes it's not easy to work around those cards to fit in what you want and need. Just for example, traptrix myrmeleo. I am in love with this card. If I normal it, there's a bottomless trap hole (or a time-space, or 1 of my 2 nightmares) in my hand to pretty much ruin my opponent's turn, and if I pendulum summon it, or soul charge it, it acts like an MST! The card is great, and I wanted to run it at 2, but having the 4 hole traps meant I needed to pull out my solemn traps - not a choice when I use guiding ariadne with luster pendulum. With a larger deck, I can run 4 hole traps, and 2 myrmeleo, along with rafflesia, and make players cry just a little bit when the second traptrix trap hole nightmare comes in to play.

Overall, I say that the best possible deck is PROBABLY under 60 cards, but instead somewhere in the 50s. 60 card decks aren't for noobs, they're for players who aren't completely perfect, and are willing to give up being able to go around saying "my deck is 37 cards, what about YOURS?" for being able to enjoy the game, and not start off holding cards that make them want to puke.

Also, because of how shuffling and probability works, the larger the deck it, the more likely you are to have a variety of cards, because larger sample sizes give more accurate results.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magers39
Retired Staff

DN Username : Magers39
Training Points : 80

PostSubject: Re: Why I run decks with more than 40 cards.   Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:51 am

eh, imma stick to 40
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://heeeeeeeey.com
*JC the shadow hunter*

DN Username : JC the shadow hunter
Training Points : 350

PostSubject: Re: Why I run decks with more than 40 cards.   Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:50 pm

this is an arguable topic.....

having more then 40 can easily brick, which is why people run 40-cards in the first place
because theres a less probability to brick

more then 40 just shows how you think other cards are fit for the deck when they're really not...
the fact that you even have to run more then 42 is kind of weird since putting the random cards in the deck may somehow benefit but will guaranteed be more bricky then 40-cards
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeffTW

PostSubject: Re: Why I run decks with more than 40 cards.   Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:59 pm

Allright, I won't flat-out argue with you :3

BTW, do any of you use Fusion Conscription in your pendulum decks? I looove it for searching scales <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magma Golem (Pyro)

DN Username : {Strigoi}

PostSubject: Re: Why I run decks with more than 40 cards.   Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:09 pm

i stick to 40 cards, last time i ran a deck like that... i've had much more dead draws then with a 40 card deck.
The only exception is when i run a Lightsworn hybrid (no more then 50 cards), it slows the deck down but not by much (which helps) and i like to add sacky boss monsters (like Sephylon).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuardSonic

DN Username : {Kokugatsu}HBlade
Training Points : 165

PostSubject: Re: Why I run decks with more than 40 cards.   Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:11 pm

I feel it's based on the deck. If the deck has lots of searching power like pepe then a 50 card deck is better. If the deck doesnt have much search power then 40 card is better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Voldemort
Council of Five
Council of Five

Training Points : 50

PostSubject: Re: Why I run decks with more than 40 cards.   Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:05 am

ehh what falco said

i don't always Kill People,But when i Do its.....AVADA KADAVERA

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why I run decks with more than 40 cards.   

Back to top Go down

Why I run decks with more than 40 cards.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1